A delicious, filling chowder that is big on ingredients without weighing you down.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp onion powder or 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2lbs golden potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2” cubes
- 2 cups corn kernels (I use frozen)
- 16oz ham, cubed or diced
- 2 cups half & half (I use fat free)
- 1 1/4 cup sharp cheddar, shredded
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven, add the butter. Once melted, add in the onion powder (or onion if using), paprika, dried thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic. Whisk together until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Add in the flour and whisk. Cook for about 1 minute. The consistency should be a smooth paste.
- Slowly add in the chicken stock while whisking so that the roux and chicken stock are combined. Bring to a boil.
- Add in the potatoes and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add in the corn and ham. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add in the half and half and stir to combine.
- Stir in cheese until it’s melted and mixed through.
Use a veggie chopper for the potatoes! It makes it fast and easy!
WW Green Plan Points: 10
- Serving Size: 1/8th (about 1.5 cups)
- Calories: 338
- Sugar: 5
- Sodium: 1775
- Fat: 13.5
- Saturated Fat: 6.8
- Unsaturated Fat: 5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 35
- Fiber: 3.8
- Protein: 21
- Cholesterol: 57
Keywords: chowder, potatoes, ham, corn, soup