A garlicky, lemon infused, buttery orzo pasta with big, delicious shrimp buried with seared lemons and herbs. This packs a major flavor punch while still being a simple meal.
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
- 1lb large shrimp, peeled & deveined (21-25 per lb size)
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup orzo, uncooked
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- Optional Toppings: red pepper flakes, grated parmesan, fresh parsley, lemon zest
- In a skillet over medium heat, add 1 teaspoon of oil.
- Once the oil has become shimmery, add the shrimp (without overcrowding the pan). Sprinkle shrimp with salt and pepper. Cook just until pink (about 2-3 minutes per side).
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the butter to the skillet and once melted, add the sliced lemon and sear on each side (about 1 minute per side). Don't over cook them here or they will turn bitter. Remove from the skillet and set aside with the shrimp.
- Add 1 teaspoon of oil to the skillet along with garlic and orzo. Toast the orzo (stirring frequently) for 2 minutes. Just until the garlic becomes fragrant. Do not burn the garlic.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, scraping the bits from the bottom of the pan (it's where a lot of good flavor comes from!)
- Add the lemon juice to the pan and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to a simmer allowing the orzo to cook and absorb most of the liquid.
- Once most of the liquid has been absorbed, stir in your basil and thyme. Next the shrimp down in the orzo and top with your seared lemon. Allow to cook 1-2 minutes.
- Serve and top with grated parmesan, fresh parsley, lemon zest, or even red pepper flakes for a kick. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1/5th of recipe
- Calories: 234
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 1065
- Fat: 9
- Saturated Fat: 3
- Unsaturated Fat: 4
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 14
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 27
- Cholesterol: 194