Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are the quick, easy, and effortless way to make mashed potatoes. They are the perfect side dish for Thanksgiving or any meal.
- 3lbs russet or golden potatoes, peeled and cut into 1” slices
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter + more for drizzling if desired
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- milk or heavy cream as needed
- Place potatoes in the Instant Pot.
- Pour in water to cover potatoes (it is okay if it doesn’t cover them completely).
- Secure the lid, and set the pressure valve to SEALING.
- Cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 9 minutes.
- Press CANCEL.
- Turn the valve to QUICK-RELEASE the pressure.
- Drain the water from the potatoes and return them to the Instant Pot.
- Add in the butter, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Using a hand mixer or potato masher, mash the potatoes until they are smooth and creamy. Add in the milk or heavy cream as needed to reach your desired consistency.
- Add in any additional salt & pepper that you’d like to taste.
- For picky eaters, skip the garlic powder and opt for heavy cream instead of milk. I would also recommend using golden potatoes. This will give it a creamier taste.
- Be extra careful to avoid adding too much water. If you fill it too high, you run the risk of hot water shooting from the valve when you quick-release.
- Nutrition information is calculated via myfitnesspal utilizing golden potatoes and no milk or cream.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/10th
- Calories: 165
- Sugar: 1
- Sodium: 5
- Fat: 9
- Saturated Fat: 6
- Unsaturated Fat: 2
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 24
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 24
Keywords: mashed potatoes, instant pot, instant pot mashed potatoes, side dish, thanksgiving, thanksgiving recipe