If you follow me on Instagram (@sweetlysplendid) and saw my stories yesterday, you saw me dying because I one of these little Oven Roasted Stuffed Jalapenos was BEYOND hot. When it comes to spicy food, I can hold my own. I regularly eat green chiles by themselves, I eat jalapenos regularly, I add heat and spice into basically everything I eat. It takes quite a bit for me to feel truly heated by food. Well, yesterday was one of those times. One of these little guys was hotter than the last habenero I ate. They had a few more stretch marks than normal (which usually indicates heat), but I figured since they came from my garden and most had been just the normal level of heat, it wasn’t going to be too bad. I popped that whole thing in my mouth. Seconds later, I felt like I had eaten battery acid. Every part of my mouth was burning. 30 minutes later, my gums were still burning. I ended up eating half a package of naan and drinking half of the milk container. I can’t even tell you the last time I just drank plain milk. I was desperate. All that to say, make sure your jalapenos aren’t the intolerably hot variety when you make these!
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED FOR OVEN ROASTED STUFFED JALAPENOS:
- cream cheese
- spicy Italian sausage, ground
- pepper jack cheese
HOW TO MAKE OVEN ROASTED STUFFED JALAPENOS:
- Take individual jalapeno, wash, trim, and remove all ribs and seeds leaving a hollow core.
- Place jalapenos on a baking sheet in a 400°F oven and par-roast just until they start to soften and roast (blacken slightly)
- While the jalapenos are roasting, brown your Italian sausage in a skillet
- Once the sausage is cooked through, add the cream cheese to the skillet and stir frequently until it is melted and mixed through.
- Remove sausage and cream cheese mixture from the stove and add in the pepper jack cheese
- Take your cheese mixture and stuff each jalapeno until it’s mounded at the top
- Place jalapenos back on baking sheet and put back in the oven to complete roasting.
TIPS AND NOTES FOR OVEN ROASTED STUFFED JALAPENOS:
- Use a tool to remove the seeds and ribs from the jalapenos without having to cut them in half. I like to use a jalapeno corer. They make a lot of versions, but I highly recommend it!
- If you’re having trouble getting all of the seeds out, rinse them with water.
- Par-roasting them insures that they get completely roasted and softened without making a giant melted cheesy mess in the oven. You don’t want to lose all of your cheese!
CAN OVEN ROASTED STUFFED JALAPENOS BE MADE AHEAD OF TIME:
Yes! You can make them to completion and freeze them if you’d like.
INTERESTED IN SIMILAR MEALS? TRY ONE OF THESE:Print
- 10 jalapenos
- 8oz cream cheese
- 1/2 lb spicy italian sausage
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Trim, wash, and remove all seeds and ribs from the jalapenos.
- Place jalapenos on a baking sheet and place in the oven to partially roast. Just until they soften, about 5-8 minutes.
- While jalapenos are in the oven, begin browning the italian sausage in a skillet.
- Remove the jalapenos from the oven and set aside.
- Once italian sausage has cooked through, add in the cream cheese. Stir frequently until it has melted and mixed through.
- Remove mixture from the stove and add in the pepper jack cheese. Mix until combined.
- Scoop cheese mixture into each jalapeno.
- Place jalapenos back on the baking sheet and put back in the oven.
- Roast an additional 5-8 minutes until softened and slightly blackened.