I’ve always just purchased hummus at the store. Grabbed a container, blew through it in the first few days, and wished I’d purchased a larger container. Lather, rinse, repeat. That was until I released just how easy it was to make homemade hummus. Not only does it take only a couple of minutes to make, it also makes a lot more than the short little packages you get at the grocery store. You can also get creative and add extra flavors.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED FOR EASY HOMEMADE HUMMUS:
- Chickpeas / garbanzo beans
- Tahini (I purchase mine on Amazon)
- Lemon juice
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (I use extra light tasting)
HOW TO MAKE EASY HOMEMADE HUMMUS:
You quite literally will throw every single item into the food processor and blend until smooth or the desired consistency you prefer. I actually like mine just before it gets totally smooth.
That’s all! I told you it was easy!
TIPS AND NOTES FOR EASY HOMEMADE HUMMUS:
- When adding the canning liquid back into the hummus, I recommend doing it a tablespoon at a time. It’s easy to go too far with the liquid and then you end up with runny hummus.
- You can use water instead of the canning liquid if you prefer.
- You don’t HAVE to make your hummus completely smooth. I actually prefer mine at the consistency right before it gets totally smooth.
- Sometimes cans are labeled chickpeas and sometimes they are labeled garbanzo beans… same thing. You can buy either.
- If you have a hard time finding tahini in your local store, try Amazon. That’s actually where I purchase mine. I can find it in store, but it’s a tiny jar and it’s expensive. There’s a good price on Amazon for a decent size jar.
- Fresh lemon juice is better, but the lemon juice you can purchase is fine too! Like I said, simply recipe, so versatile.
CAN THE RECIPE FOR EASY HOMEMADE HUMMUS BE MADE AHEAD OF TIME?
100% YES! I like to make mine and then store it in small mason jars. This recipe usually fills 3 of the small mason jars to keep in the fridge. I like to sprinkle mine with a little extra paprika before eating too.Print
1 15oz can of garbanzo beans, drained reserving liquid
1/4 cup tahini
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Combine all ingredients (minus the canning liquid) into the food processor. Blend until smooth adding any additional canning liquid to obtain your desired consistency. I usually use only about 1-2 tbsp at most. Top with additional olive oil and paprika when serving if desired.