This version of pulled pork has a very unique and sweet flavor. It isn't your typical pulled pork recipe and you may question the ingredients, but just trust me. You'll love it. It's sweet, but not the typical drowning-in-bbq-sauce sweet. Don't get me wrong. I am from Texas after all and we love our smokey, sweet, moist BBQ. But, this adds a different flare than you'd normal have.
You can serve this in sandwiches, tacos, or by itself. We like to eat it by itself in our house with some sides. It's that good!
You Will Love this Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork
This slow cooker bbq pulled pork is tender and full of flavor. The combination of enchilada sauce and brown sugar makes it different from your standard pulled pork.
While the enchilada sauce may seem a bit strange, it will quickly become a family favorite. Even picky eaters love this version.
When I serve this to guests, everyone always asks for the recipe. It's perfect to make for a crowd.
The use of the slow cooker makes this a complete set-it-and-forget-it meal. Add the ingredients to the crock pot, let it cook, and you have delicious pulled pork at the end of the day.
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Recipe Ingredients
- pork roast shoulder - you'll want to use a boneless pork shoulder roast for this. While you can use other cuts of pork, this one gives a tender result every time.
- brown sugar - you can use light or dark brown sugar work well in this. Use whichever one you have on hand.
- green enchilada sauce - it seems strange, but trust me on this. It's actually really delicious!
- bbq sauce - I'm partial to the Sweet Baby Ray's brand, but you should use whichever barbecue sauce is your favorite. I find that a sweet one works best.
How To Make Pulled Pork in Crock Pot
- Place the pork shoulder in the slow cooker.
- Pour enchilada sauce over the pork and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Once the pork has finished cooking, open the slow cooker and shred it.
- Once it has been shredded, add in the barbecue sauce.
- Stir to combine.
- Place the lid back on the slow cooker and allow it to cook on low for an additional 30 minutes. This will allow the sauce to thicken.
- Serve it up and enjoy!
How to serve Sweet Pulled Pork
The great thing about sweet pulled pork is that it can be served so many different ways. It's great in:
- baked potatoes
- burrito bowls
How to store Slow Cooker Sweet Pork
To store slow cooker sweet pork, you need to let it cool completely. Once it has cooled, it should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Recipe FAQ
Liquid is not required to make pulled pork in the slow cooker, but I recommend using it for a juicier result.
The secret to tender pulled pork is using the right cut of meat, cooking it long enough, and adding the right sauce.
The best cut of meat for slow cooker pulled pork is a boneless pork shoulder.
Raw pork can be put in the slow cooker. Be sure it's cooked to a safe temperature before consuming.
It is best to slow cook pork on low to have the most tender results.
Slow Cooker Sweet Pork
- 4 lb Pork Roast Shoulder
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 can green enchilada sauce
- ¼ cup Sweet Baby Ray's Original BBQ Sauce
- Place pork shoulder in the slow cooker.
- Pour enchilada sauce over pork and sprinkle with brown sugar
- Cook on low 6-8 hours.
- Once the pork has finished cooking, open the slow cooker and shred it with two forks.
- Once it has been shredded, add in the bbq sauce.
- Stir to combine.
- Put lid back on slow cooker and allow it to cook on low for an additional 30 minutes. This will allow the sauce to thicken.
- Serve up and enjoy!
So easy and delicious!