Oh my goodness, my lack of posts! My last post was before Thanksgiving and that’s just crazy. Between the holidays and running a company (that isn’t even remotely related to food blogging), life got really crazy. We’ve hired a few additional people at our company to help with the work load, so I’m hoping I can have somewhat of a life back. Translate that as I can post more on the food blog!
So apologies aside, what better way to get back in the swing of things than with some super delicious and cute Valentine’s Day cupcakes. These little guys are a standard vanilla cupcake with little chunks of strawberries mixed in, topped with a strawberry buttercream frosting. When you bite into these little guys, it isn’t an overwhelming amount of strawberry flavor. It gives the real strawberry chunks and is the perfect balance. They would also be super cute topped with a little slice of strawberry to give a nod to the flavor.
One other thing, you could totally shortcut this recipe! If you wanted, you could skip making the vanilla cupcakes from scratch and use a box mix. If you take this route, I would recommend making them according to the box directions and just folding in the strawberries as the last step before putting them in the oven.
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt + 1 pinch
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp regular milk
- 10 medium to large strawberries, cut into small pieces
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp strawberry syrup
- 2 tbsp strawberry milk
- Preheat oven to 350
- Line your pan with cupcake liners, or spray with nonstick spray – set aside
- Add 1 stick of butter to stand mixer (or you can use a bowl with hand mixer) and whip the butter for about 2 minutes until it is light and fluffy.
- Add the granulated sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/2 tsp salt to the bowl.
- Mix on medium speed until combined.
- One at a time, add the eggs, sour cream, and 1 tbsp of vanilla to the bowl. Scraping the sides as needed.
- Mix until smooth.
- Add the regular milk and mix briefly on low speed, just until combined.
- Remove the mixture from the mixer and add the strawberries.
- Fold in the strawberries by hand.
- Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake in the oven for 12-16 minutes. Check to be sure they are done by using a toothpick inserted in the center. If it comes out clean they are done.
- Allow them to cool completely.
- While your cupcakes are cooling, add 2 sticks of butter to the stand mixer.
- Whisk the butter until it is light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the strawberry syrup, strawberry milk, and vanilla extract. Whip for 1 additional minute.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time whipping the mixture fully in between each addition.
- Once all of the powdered sugar has been added, add your pinch of salt and whip the mixture until stiff peaks form.
- Once the stiff peaks form, allow it to mix on medium speed for 1 additional minute.
- Frost your cooled cupcakes with the buttercream frosting and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake with frosting
- Calories: 242
- Sugar: 23
- Sodium: 44
- Fat: 13
- Saturated Fat: 8
- Unsaturated Fat: 4
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 31
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 47