Okay, let me start by saying these cupcakes are SO GOOD. I mean, I could eat the whole batch good. There's just something about the moist, light cupcake combined with the flavored buttercream icing that makes this amazing flavor combination. I seriously LOVE it. My husband who isn't even a big cupcake fan loved these.
They are perfect cupcakes to bake for a Harry Potter or wizard themed party. There are so many cute ideas out there for a sweet little Harry Potter themed party. You can purchase the cupcake wrappers I used HERE and there is even a coordinating party invitation HERE.Print
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp butter flavor
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup diet cream soda
- ½ cup low fat buttermilk
- Butterscotch filling (recipe below)
- Butter Beer Buttercream Frosting (recipe below)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy, approx 2 minutes. Add in vanilla extract and butter flavoring. Once combined, add in the eggs one at a time making sure it is fully incorporated before adding the next egg.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder.
- Add HALF of the flour mixture to the wet ingredients. FOLD mixture together. Add buttermilk and gently combine. Add remaining flour mixture and cream soda. FOLD TOGETHER to avoid over mixing. If you over mix the ingredients your cupcakes will become dense.
- Fill a lined cupcake tin about ¾ of the way up in each cup. Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes back clean. Remove from the oven and remove them from the pan and cool on a cooling rack. Cool completely. Once they have cooled completely, insert the tip of the squeeze bottle with butterscotch filling into the center of the cupcake. Squeeze just until it begins to come out of the stop, set aside. Continue with all the cupcakes. Fill a pastry bag with the Butter Beer frosting and frost each cupcake. Squeeze a little butterscotch filling over the top of the frosted cupcake. Enjoy!
- 13 WW Freestyle Points per cupcake with frosting and drizzle
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 434
- Sugar: 45
- Sodium: 153
- Fat: 22
- Saturated Fat: 14
- Unsaturated Fat: 5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 55
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 77
Keywords: harry potter, dessert, cupcakes, cake, butterscotch, butter beer
- 1 package butterscotch chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, heat the heavy cream just until steaming.
- Add in the butterscotch chips and melt, stirring until shiny and smooth.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool to room temperature. Once at room temperature put into a condiment squeeze bottle. I use one like THIS.
This butterscotch filling is intended to be used in the Butter Beer Cupcakes.
- 8 TBSP unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp butter flavor
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup butterscotch filling
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter until fluffy. THIS IS SO IMPORTANT! For good buttercream, you need the butter to be room temperature and beat it until its really fluffy, about 2 minutes or so.
- Beat in the vanilla, butter flavor, salt, and butterscotch filling until just combined.
- Add in the powdered sugar and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy. You want it to be able to form stiff peaks. If it becomes too thick, add in a very small splash of heavy cream mixing until it’s the right consistency.
This buttercream is intended to be used on our Butter Beer Cupcakes.