Chicken Parmesan is always one of those meals that can seem intimidating if you don't cook very often. It seems arduous and time consuming, but it really isn't when you take the appropriate shortcuts. One of the short cuts I like to take is getting the right cut of meat to start and then using the right combination for the breading.
I like to serve my chicken parm with buttered spaghetti or fettuccine noodles. I also like to only top it with sauce and cheese right before you're going to eat it. That way, if you have leftovers that won't be eaten, they are perfect to go on top of a salad or in a sandwich. This chicken parmesan makes great leftovers!
Be sure to stick with thin cut chicken breast, or you'll need to beat it thin. That is what keeps the chicken quick cooking and moist.Print
- 4 thin cut chicken breast
- 2 eggs
- 1 package garlic butter flavored croutons
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- olive oil
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- Place croutons in a food processor and pulse until you reach a bread crumb consistency.
- Combine croutons, panko, and parmesan in a shallow dish (I like to use a pie plate), and stir to combine.
- In another shallow dish, add eggs and whisk.
- Preheat a skillet on medium heat and add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Take each chicken breast and dip in the eggs first being sure to fully coat both sides.
- Then dip the chicken in the crouton mixture, being sure to cover the entire piece.
- Place the chicken in the heated skilled and cook until browned (about 2-3 minutes each side).
- Cook one piece at a time to avoid over crowding and bringing the oil temperature down.
- Remove each piece and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- Once completed, add 2 tablespoons of marinara sauce to the top of each piece followed by 2 tbsp of mozzarella.
- Either place back in the skillet with a lid and heat until the cheese is melted, or pop into a casserole dish and under the broiler for a minute or so until it's bubbly and melted.
- Serve it up over a big pile of buttered pasta! Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 chicken breast
- Calories: 353
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 583
- Fat: 18
- Saturated Fat: 6
- Unsaturated Fat: 7
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 11
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 38
- Cholesterol: 181