Football Sunday! I feel like in Texas it's "Football EVERYDAY!" haha! But seriously, there's a football game so many days of the week and it's basically religion around here. The best part about football parties and tailgates? The food! Finger food is the easiest to serve at functions like these because it doesn't require utensils, plates, anything. Just hand them a napkin. What also says football food? BBQ sauce, crescent roll dough, and meatballs! These Game Day BBQ Bites definitely meet that criteria.
What's even better about football food? It's always so good! I'm all about the sides at parties and I feel like football party food is just a big giant smorgasbord of sides. You can most definitely use store bought meatballs for this recipe, but we do have two really great meatball recipes on the blog, if I do say so myself. I recommend using either Oven Baked Turkey Meatballs or our Homemade Meatballs.
Since this is a fairly simple recipe with limited ingredients, it's important to use a great tasting BBQ sauce and a meatball you love. They take center stage here so it will be obvious if you choose one that isn't that great. One thing I wouldn't recommend in this recipe? Strongly Italian flavored meatballs. If you choose to buy store bought meatballs (no shame in that game!), be sure not to get a strongly Italian flavored meatball. It will fight with the BBQ and crescent flavors and quickly seem like a battle of flavors. Stick with a neutral flavored meatball here.
BBQ Meatball Bites
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray standard size muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Roll crescent roll dough into one large sheet, pinching seams together.
- Cut dough into 16 equal squares.
- Place a square into slot of muffin tin, top with a meatball pushing down gently.
- Repeat with remaining dough squares and meatballs.
- Top each meatball with a light drizzle of BBQ sauce. Do not get heavy handed here, it will make them soggy.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes or just until crescent dough is golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before removing from pan and serving.