This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you decide to purchase through my link, I may earn a very small commission at no additional cost to you.
the best salsa verde chicken recipe
This recipe will help you take the stress out of dinner time. With only 5 minutes of prep, this simple, easy, one-pot dinner will be ready in the crockpot in 4 hours.
Not only is it creamy and delicious, but it's also great for busy weeknights. The chicken is so versatile it can be used for multiple meals in different ways to save you cooking time during the week.
- boneless skinless chicken breasts - boneless, skinless chicken thighs can be substituted, just be sure to trim the fat first.
- salt & pepper
- salsa verde - roasted salsa verde works best, but use your favorite. You can also use homemade if you don't want to purchase store-bought.
- corn - canned or frozen both work well here
- black beans - you could also substitute the black beans for pinto beans or even cannalini beans
- cream cheese - while I find that neufchatel (reduced fat cream cheese) works best for taste and texture, you can also use full fat. I do not recommend using the fat free cream cheese. The texture and taste do not work well with it.
what to serve with a salsa verde chicken recipe
Salsa verde chicken is versatile and goes well with so many things. It's excellent over jalapeno lime rice, in tacos, burrito bowls, tostadas, or over cauliflower rice or spaghetti squash for a low-carb option. It's also great in enchiladas and soup. You could also use it in Instant Pot White Chicken Chili.
how to make salsa verde chicken in the slow cooker
Detailed instructions and measurements to make Crockpot Salsa Verde Chicken are listed in the recipe card at the bottom of this page.
- Start by adding the chicken breasts to the crockpot. Sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Pour the salsa verde over the top of the chicken breasts making sure they are covered.
- Top with corn and black beans. Lastly, add the cream cheese on top. You do not need to stir it in.
- Add the lid and set the crockpot to LOW for 4 hours.
- Shred the chicken and serve!
tips and tricks
If you find that chicken sticks to your crockpot, try spraying with nonstick spray before adding your ingredients.
Don't overcook your chicken. Most thawed chicken only needs about 4 hours on low in the crockpot. Overcooking it will result in dry, rubbery chicken.
Save the leftovers. You can use the leftovers for enchiladas, soups, tostadas, tacos, and burrito bowls.
FAQs about salsa verde chicken
Yes, you can use any green, tomatillo-based sauce. Roasted salsa verde will give you the best flavor.
Salsa Verde is green salsa in Mexico. It's often made with roasted tomatillos.
Salsa Verde translates to "green sauce" in Spanish. So Verde just means green, often referring to the tomatillos.
No, Chili Verde is a type of stew while salsa verde is a type of sauce.
how to store & reheat creamy salsa verde chicken
Allow the leftover chicken to cool completely. It can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Be sure to store with the sauce to keep it tender and moist. When reheating, add to a microwave-safe dish with a little bit of sauce to prevent it from drying out.
other recipes you might like
Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken
- measuring cups
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 jar salsa verde
- 1 cup corn frozen or canned
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 6 ounces cream cheese I use reduced fat
- Add the chicken breasts to the crockpot and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Pour the salsa verde over the top of the chicken breasts making sure they are fully covered.
- Top with corn, black beans, and cream cheese. You do not need to stir it.
- Add the lid and cook on LOW for 4 hours.
- Serve with fresh cilantro, avocado, and cheese.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy. It should only be used for estimation purposes and is not a guarantee of any kind. Nutritional information varies widely between brands and types of ingredients used. It is recommended that you calculate the nutritional information based on your own ingredients and brands used. Sweetly Splendid, LLC makes no guarantees as to the exact nutrition information.