So this recipe came about by accident. First, there is a sandwich similar to this that both my husband and I love from a local deli. I pack my husband's lunch every day and I had started making him a sandwich that was a take on our favorite from the deli. Some minor changes, but still delicious.
One day, in all of my rushed chaos of the morning, I realized that I had forgotten to buy bread for his sandwiches. Well, let's be honest here that there are ALWAYS tortillas in my house. I figured it would at least do for that day and I could go get some bread that afternoon. I warned my husband and sent him on his way for the day.
Fast forward to lunch time that day and I get a snapchat from him with a picture of the quesadilla and a caption that said "MMMMMM!!!!" He told me it was delicious and he wanted me to start making these everyday for a while. That's saying a lot! He's the pickiest eater I've ever met and cooking for him on a daily basis is definitely a challenge. To find something he really likes is rare so I was really excited. He raved about it when he got home and said, "You really have to make it for yourself and try!" So I did. And it was as delicious as he said. I added the honey mustard to mine, but his goes without so you can choose what you like best for yourself!
Smoked Turkey Pepper Jack Quesadilla
- 1 taco size tortilla
- 6 slices of smoked turkey
- 2 slices of center cut bacon
- 2 slices of pepper jack cheese
- 1 tbsp Jack Daniel's honey mustard
- Cook both slices of bacon in a small skillet.
- Remove bacon from skillet and drain bacon on paper towel.
- Add tortilla to skillet and on one side of the tortilla, layer 1 slice of cheese, topped with 3 slices of turkey, followed by both slices of bacon, topped with honey mustard, the remaining slices of turkey, and then the last slice of cheese.
- Fold the empty half of the tortilla over the filling.
- Cook tortilla over medium-low heat for 2 minutes.
- Flip and cook for 2 minutes on the other side.
- Remove from pan and enjoy!