Velveeta Queso is the ultimate appetizer for game day or game night. Made with just four ingredients, this recipe comes together quickly on the stovetop.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you decide to purchase through my link, I may earn a very small commission at no additional cost to you.
Velveeta Queso Recipe
When you’re planning a party, whether it’s a big one or a small shindig, a few easy appetizers makes the menu much easier to prepare.
This Velveeta Cheese Dip comes together in just a few minutes on the stove. It’s made with pantry ingredients, so it’s a real winner if you need an appetizer fast.
Served with your favorite dippers like chips and crusty bread, this easy cheese dip is always a huge hit at parties. You can even spoon this dip over chips for nachos!
Why you’ll love this Velveeta cheese dip recipe
You’re going to fall in love with this Velveeta Queso recipe, I just know it. Here’s why:
- Made on the stovetop, this cheese dip will be ready in no time.
- With only four, easy-to-find ingredients, it’s a snap to put together.
- No one can say no to creamy, cheesy Velveeta Rotel Dip!
Serve it up for a game day, tailgates (kept warm in a crockpot), and Super Bowl parties. It’s also a great one for small get-togethers like board game night, trivia night, and girls’ night.
It’s so easy to make you can serve it as a quick side for taco night or add it to your Cinco de Mayo celebration. Its cheesy flavor goes great with so many things!
Ingredients for Velveeta queso dip
A recipe card with the full instructions and measurements is located at the bottom of this post.
This recipe only needs a few simple ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need to put on your shopping list.
- velveeta cheese – You’ll need an 8-ounce box. The 2% kind is best, but the regular Velveeta works too.
- diced tomatoes with green chiles – Many people like the Ro-Tel brand, but here’s a tip: You can use any kind! Rotel tomatoes have green chiles already in the can.
- milk – Whole milk or 2% work best here.
- roasted green chiles – For some extra spice and flavor, some extra green chilies are amazing in this dip, but it’s totally optional. For a milder flavor, you can leave them out.
- fresh cilantro – Another optional ingredient, chopped cilantro really makes it look and taste so much better.
Some people add ground beef to their Velveeta Dip, but I don’t. This is a flavorful vegetarian version you can feel good about serving to a crowd.
Hint: Buy two of the canned goods so you can have the ingredients ready to go next time you need a quick appetizer.
How to Make Rotel Cheese Dip
Putting together this Rotel Cheese Dip is so super simple. You’re not going to believe how easy it is!
First, get out a saucepan and add all ingredients to it. Place it over medium heat.
Continue to stir occasionally, until the mixture is totally melted and smooth with a creamy texture.
Serve warm with your favorite dippers! (Ideas below).
For the picky eaters in your family
- Cut the additional green chiles if spice is a concern. You can always get “mild” or you can skip them altogether.
- Those with the cilantro soap gene won’t like this addition, so it’s fine to cut it.
- Serve the dip with lots of great dippers so everyone can enjoy the dip.
Tips & tricks for cheesy Rotel dip
Be careful about the heat to avoid burning the cheese to the bottom of the saucepan! Keep it over medium heat.
Slow Cooker Velveeta Queso
As the cheese begins to melt, stir with a spatula or wooden spoon. Stir occasionally to help the cheese melt.
It’s ready to serve when the mixture is completely melted and smooth.
What to Dip in Rotel Dip
Velveeta Queso is the ultimate party food, but it’s even better when there are a few dippers for everyone to choose from. Here are a few ideas:
- tortilla chips (store-bought or homemade)
- potato chips
- celery sticks
- carrot sticks
- bell pepper strips
- crusty bread
- popcorn shrimp
- pretzel sticks
- French fries or potato wedges
- sweet potato fries
- pita chips
- cut-up fresh vegetables
Simply add the cooled queso dip to an airtight container. Place it in the refrigerator and it will stay fresh for up to 3 days.
How to reheat classic Velveeta queso
There are two ways that I recommend reheating this easy queso recipe. The stovetop or your crock pot. While you can use the microwave, it can quickly burn the cheese and take away the creamy texture.
When reheating on the stove, place the queso in a saucepan and heat over low heat, stirring occasionally until it is heated through.
To reheat it in the crock pot, add the queso in and turn it on low. Stir occasionally and once it’s heated through, turn it to warm to avoid burning the cheese on the bottom.
How to customize Velveeta queso
There are so many ways you can customize this easy recipe that will give you great flavor and take it to the next level. You can add in things like garlic powder, black beans, cooked Italian sausage, cooked chorizo, jalapeno peppers, or even cooked seasoned ground beef.
FAQ about Velveeta Cheese Dip
The trick with Velveeta cheese is to cook it slowly so that it doesn’t burn. On both the stovetop and a slow cooker, use medium heat. Stir frequently to ensure that the cheese is melting evenly and mixing with all the other ingredients.
Velveeta Rotel Dip is so good with dippers like tortilla chips, bread, pita chips, celery stalks, baby carrots, pretzel twists, and french fries. You can even spoon it over chips for nachos if you like!
Rotel dip typically contains creamy, melty Velveeta cheese and Rotel (which is a brand name for a mixture of diced tomatoes and green chiles). Sometimes it also includes ground beef or sausage.
More Queso Recipes
Share on FacebookShare
- Add all ingredients to a saucepan.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir occasionally as it begins to melt.
- Continue to stir until it is melted and smooth.
- You can also make this in a crockpot. Add the ingredients to a crockpot and heat over low.
- Continue stirring while it is heating to help the cheese melt
- Be careful about the heat to avoid burning the cheese to the bottom of the saucepan.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy. It should only be used for estimation purposes and is not a guarantee of any kind. Nutritional information varies widely between brands and types of ingredients used. It is recommended that you calculate the nutritional information based on your own ingredients and brands used. Sweetly Splendid, LLC makes no guarantees as to the exact nutrition information.