My poor crock pot gets used and abused to no end. I love being able to throw everything in before work, set the timer, and come home to a finished meal. We've had a lot of busy days in my house lately, so having dinner ready this way really helps us. I personally use the Ninja Multi/Slow Cooker.
I should preface this with saying that I grew up in SE New Mexico and love things spicy. My husband on the other hand, grew up in North Carolina on the other end of the spectrum of spicy foods. Over the past several years, he's come to my side of the spicy spectrum so a lot of my meals will have that spicy kick to them that we love. Feel free to adjust that spicy level to whatever fits your family's taste buds. This little Crockpot Mexican Chili gem (minus the cheese, sour cream, and avocado), comes in at about 205 calories per serving with 9g of fiber and 13g of protein.
As a side note, Jacob hates onions. Absolutely can't stand them. I've tried making this without and it's just not the same. I have a nifty little contraption that cuts them into tiny, little, bitty, pieces and that works for him. So if you try without onions, it's probably not going to taste the same. Try mincing them as finely as possible if you have picky eaters in your family. I've also tried with onion powder. I would recommend using that in place of omitting them entirely. It will slightly alter the taste, but will still give you the depth of flavor you need.
If you do freezer meals (which I do quite frequently), just combine all ingredients of the Crockpot Mexican Chili except for the chicken in a freezer zippy bag. Lay flat in freezer until you're ready to use. When you're ready to use, combine the bag and chicken into the crockpot and you're good to go!
Crockpot Mexican Chili
- ½ onion finely chopped
- 1 can kidney beans - undrained I buy the no salt added
- 1 can black beans - undrained I buy the no salt added
- 2 green chiles chopped I have a freezer full from back home thanks to my wonderful mother. You can use canned if you need to
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1-2 tablespoons of chili powder
- ¼ cup of taco seasoning
- 8 oz tomato sauce I buy no salt added
- 2 cans of rotel
- 1 ½ - 2 cups of corn kernels I use either frozen or fresh
- 3 small/medium chicken breasts
- Combine all the ingredients in the crock pot and bury the chicken in it.
- Cook on low for 7-9 hours. It needs to be closer to 9 if chicken is still frozen.
- Once complete, remove the chicken, shred and return to the crockpot.
- Top with your favorite toppings (cheddar, light sour cream, avocado)