This pineapple pico de gallo salsa is the perfect balance of sweet and spicy. It's easy to make in under 10 minutes.
This fruit salsa is great with chips, in tacos, or on your favorite seafood and chicken dishes. Its sweet flavor is an excellent addition to spring and summer.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you decide to purchase through my link, I may earn a very small commission at no additional cost to you.
why I love pineapple pico de gallo salsa
- Great balance of sweet and spicy - the sweetness pineapple contrasted with the spicy jalapeno and crisp onion create the perfect contrast.
- Easy to make - you really only have to chop and combine. There are no complicated steps.
- Light and refreshing - the pineapple provides a light and refreshing take on your traditional pico de gallo.
- Versatile - this pineapple pico de gallo salsa pairs so well with a variety of dishes.
- Healthy benefits - not only is it low calorie and naturally gluten-free but this pico de gallo recipe is also packed full of nutrients.
ingredients you'll need for pineapple salsa
- red onion
- fresh cilantro
- lime juice
how to serve pineapple pico de gallo salsa
- on pizza
- over chicken or seafood
- in fish tacos or chicken tacos
- with tortilla chips
- as a side dish
how to make
Detailed instructions and measurements to make pineapple pico de gallo salsa are listed in the recipe card at the bottom of this page.
- Chop the pineapple, jalapeno, red onion, and cilantro in bite-size pieces. Add them to a mixing bowl.
- Slice the lime and squeeze all of the juice over the mixture.
- Mix it all to combine and serve!
tips, tricks and faqs
Be sure to use a ripe pineapple. It helps with both texture and taste. Fresh ingredients are key to an excellent pineapple fruit salsa.
Make sure your ingredients are finely chopped so that you can a little of everything in each bite.
When choosing a jalapeno, keep in mind that those with stretch marks are generally hotter and have more spice.
If you want to keep the heat down, be sure to remove the ribs and seeds of your jalapeno before chopping.
As soon as your pineapple is ripe (whether you cut it or not), place it in the refrigerator. This will ensure that it doesn't go bad before you use it.
Yes, if you don't like cilantro feel free to omit it entirely.
Pico de gallo is a chunkier "fresh" style salsa.
Pineapple is high in fiber, full of vitamins (vitamin C, manganese, vitamin B6, folate, potassium, magnesium, and more), and contains antioxidants.
Pineapple also contains bromelain which is a group of digestive enzymes. These can help break down protein and make digestion easier.
substitutions and alterations
- Cilantro - if you aren't a fan of cilantro, you an omit it entirely.
- If you find the jalapeno to be too spicy, be sure to remove the ribs and seeds. When shopping for jalapenos, look for those without "stretch marks". The stretch marks indicate that it will be spicier.
how to choose the best pineapple
- Golden pineapples have the sweetest flavor, so if you can find that variety I would choose that type
- Look for a pineapple with healthy, green leaves
- Avoid any pineapple that is completely brown. It's past it's peak of ripeness.
- When you squeeze the pineapple, it should be firm but have a slight give. It shouldn't have any mushy spots.
- If you smell the base of the pineapple, it should smell slightly sweet.
how to store
I store mine in the refrigerator in an airtight container. My favorite airtight containers are the Rubbermaid Brilliance containers.
other salsa recipes you might like
Pineapple Pico De Gallo Salsa
- 1 whole pineapple
- 2 whole jalapenos
- ½ whole red onion
- 2 handfuls cilantro
- 2 whole limes
- Chop the pineapple, jalapeno, red onion, and cilantro in bite size pieces. Add them to a mixing bowl.
- Slice the lime and squeeze all of the juice over the mixture. Mix it all to combine and serve!
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy. It should only be used for estimation purposes and is not a guarantee of any kind. Nutritional information varies widely between brands and types of ingredients used. It is recommended that you calculate the nutritional information based on your own ingredients and brands used. Sweetly Splendid, LLC makes no guarantees as to the exact nutrition information.