This Coastal Marinated Grilled Chicken starts in a honey lime-based marinade and then it's grilled to perfection. With garlic and coconut aminos, it has a unique, delicious flavor.
the best grilled chicken recipe
This grilled chicken recipe is packed with a unique delicious flavor from the coconut aminos, honey, and lime.
ingredients you'll need for this coastal marinated grilled chicken
- boneless skinless chicken breast
- coconut aminos (you can use soy sauce if you prefer)
- avocado oil
- lime juice
how to make grilled chicken
- Add all of the ingredients except chicken in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Add mix and chicken to a gallon-sized food storage bag and place in the refrigerator for 4-24 hours. I like to marinate mine overnight.
- Once the chicken has marinated, remove it from the fridge and preheat the grill to medium heat.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and add it to the grill.
- Cook for 7-10 minutes per side (depending on thickness), only flipping once.
- Once the internal temperature of the chicken has reached 165°F, remove it and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
tips for grilling chicken
- This marinade has oil in it so we recommend cooking them over low heat to avoid flare-ups.
- The longer you can marinate this chicken, the better. I try to let mine marinate for at least 12 hours.
- Resting your chicken after it's cooked allows the juices to redistribute. If you cut your chicken too soon, all of the juices will run out and it will be dry.
- Buy an instant read meat thermometer! It'll save you from both undercooked AND over cooked chicken. No one likes dry chicken!
can grilled chicken be made ahead of time?
Yes, it makes a great make ahead meal. You can grill them and then store in the fridge or freezer for later use.
I would not recommend marinating the chicken for more than 24 hours, but you can always freeze any cooked leftovers for later.
how to store grilled chicken
Allow the chicken to cool completely. You can slice or leave whole before storing. If placing in the refrigerator, store in an airtight container up to 3 days.
To freeze, allow the chicken to cool completely. Place in a zip top style freezer bag, vacuum sealed bag, or airtight container. Store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
grilled chicken side dishes
- green salad - I love serving grilled chicken with a fresh green salad. Some of my favorites are rainbow chopped salad and
- corn on the cob
- easy roasted broccoli
boneless, skinless chicken breast - You can substitute chicken tenders (tenderloins), chicken thighs, or even chicken wings.
coconut aminos - you can use soy sauce or liquid aminos in place of coconut aminos. You could also substitute with balsamic vinegar for a completely different flavor.
avocado oil - you can use olive oil in place of the avocado oil.
honey - you can use brown sugar instead of honey if you prefer. Honey works best, but brown sugar or maple syrup both work well.
you might also like:
Coastal Marinated Grilled Chicken
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos you can sub in soy sauce if you prefer
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp cilantro chopped
- Whisk together all ingredients except chicken.
- Add chicken and marinade mix into a gallon food storage bag.
- Place bag in the fridge for 4-24 hours.
- When ready to grill, preheat your grill and set to low heat.
- Place each chicken breast on grill and cook 7-10 minutes per side depending on thickness.
- Remove from grill when the internal temperature reaches 165F.
- Set aside to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy. It should only be used for estimation purposes and is not a guarantee of any kind. Nutritional information varies widely between brands and types of ingredients used. It is recommended that you calculate the nutritional information based on your own ingredients and brands used. Sweetly Splendid, LLC makes no guarantees as to the exact nutrition information.