I love coffee cake. I love the cinnamon & sugar flavor, how moist it is, I love that its good cold or hot. It's good stuff! I used to REALLY like the Starbucks Coffee Cake, but it seems like lately they've changed the recipe and downsized on the portion size. Neither of which work in my favor! But really, a vanilla latte with a side of coffee cake? Yes, please!
On the weekend, I usually like to dedicate at least one day to making a good breakfast for Jacob. I'm always the first one up, so usually once I start cooking, he eventually makes his way out of bed. I normally stick with pancakes, but lately I decided to switch it up and go with coffee cake muffins. Jacob will devour muffins. We never have leftover muffins in our house. Just doesn't happen. These came out yummy and he's asked for them several times since. Make up a batch this weekend. You won't regret it. "It's my creedo! No regrets." ... "You have no regrets? Like, not even a single letter?"... If you've ever seen We're the Millers you'll know what I'm talking about and get a good giggle. Anyway, on to the recipe...
Coffee Cake Muffins
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- 4-5 TBSP cold unsalted butter cut into tiny pieces
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 5 TBSP unsalted butter melted & brought to room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a muffin tin with non stick spray. I prefer this method rather than using liners. The muffins tend to stick to the liners and they come out smoothly when just using non stick spray.
- Combine all streusel ingredients in a bowl. Mix with two forks or your fingers until you reach a crumb/sandy consistency. Set aside.
- In a separate, large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, egg, butter, and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and gently stir until combined. You do not want to over mix.
- Place a spoonful (about 1 tablespoon) of the muffin mix in each prepared muffin cup. Top with 1 tablespoon of streusel mix. Top with another spoonful (about 1 tablespoon) of muffin mix. Top with remaining streusel.
- Bake muffins for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Enjoy!