This drink screams summer. Between the Malibu, watermelon, and lime, you just can’t get more summer than this Boozy Watermelon Slush! I had this drink in mind for a while, and what better way to celebrate Naitonal Watermelon Day? When it came together, it tasted even better than I expected. One thing that surprised me was how delicious frozen watermelon is. Everyone raves about frozen grapes, but when I took a bite of the frozen watermelon, it was like it’s sweetness factor went up a dozen notches. It was amazing!
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED FOR THE BOOZY WATERMELON SLUSH:
- Malibu rum
HOW TO MAKE BOOZY WATERMELON SLUSH:
(full recipe card below)
- Peel and cut your watermelon into thin, small slices. Lay them on a wax paper lined cookie sheet and freeze.
- While the watermelon is freezing, make your lime simple syrup.
- In a saucepan, combine the water, sugar, and zest from your limes.
- Bring to a boil and allow to simmer until all of the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from the stove and allow it to completely cool. Once cooled completely, place in a container and put in the fridge to chill.
- Once your watermelon is frozen, remove from the freezer and add it to the blender. Yes, the entire watermelon.
- Pour in your simple syrup, and the juice from your limes.
- Blend until a slushy consistency.
- If you need it a little more “slushy”, add in a few cubes of ice and blend.
- Garnish with additional watermelon and lime.
TIPS AND NOTES FOR BOOZY WATERMELON SLUSH:
- The thinner you slice your watermelon, the faster it will freeze.
- If you want a stronger lime flavor, you can squeeze in extra lime after its poured into your glass.
- Get creative and rim your glass with lime juice and sugar.
- If you want it more of a slushy flavor without adding ice, you can blend the watermelon and freeze in ice cubes. I wouldn’t recommend freezing the syrup.
CAN THIS BE MADE AHEAD OF TIME?
I wouldn’t recommend it. You can freeze the watermelon in advance, but I’d make these right before serving.
INTERESTED IN SIMILAR RECIPES? TRY ONE OF THESE:Print
- 1 seedless watermelon
- 4 large limes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup Malibu rum (more or less to your liking)
- Peel and slice your watermelon into small thin slices. Place on a wax paper lined baking sheet. Place the sheet in the oven to freeze your watermelon. Remember, the thinner the slices, the faster it’ll freeze.
- While your watermelon is freezing, make your simple syrup. Add sugar, water, and the zest from 1 lime into a sauce pan.
- Heat until boiling, reduce heat and simmer, stirring until all sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Allow the syrup to cool completely and then place in the refrigerator to cool even further.
- Once the watermelon is frozen completely and the syrup cooled, add both to a blender along with the Malibu rum and juice from all limes.
- Blend until smooth. If you’d like it to be even icier, add in some cubes of ice and blend.
- Enjoy with an extra squeeze of lime into your glass if you prefer.
- The thinner you slice the watermelon, the faster it will freeze
- The key to a good slush is to make sure all of your ingredients are very cold, with the watermelon being completely frozen.
- You can opt to blend your watermelon and then freeze in ice cubes if you prefer.
- Do not freeze the syrup, your final result won’t taste the same.