Spinach Mushroom Omelette
I know, I know. The queen of dessert breakfast has gone to the opposite end of the spectrum! Lately, I have just been on such a savory food kick. I spent the weekend before Easter making all kinds of yummy sweets and over-sweetened myself. The thought of sugar was repulsing by the end of the day. Since then, I've craved everything savory and salty. It's like my sweet tooth has taken a vacation. Which is sooo unlike me.
I was digging through the fridge and trying to find something I could make that was savory and non-dessert-like. I eyeballed the mushrooms and realized I needed to use them. I love mushrooms, but I'm so guilty of letting them constantly go bad and having to throw them out. I'm determined with this batch to use them all! I bought the spinach for a recipe later in the week so it was staring me down right from the front of the fridge. I'm really trying to eat more nutrient-dense food. I've been sick for the majority of 2016 (I blame the extreme stress I've been under), so I'm attempting to actually remember to take my vitamins every day and get more of my vitamins from food. So here's my attempt at a protein-rich, veggie-filled breakfast!
You can always top it with some other things too. Pico de gallo, sriracha, and green chile are all great additions! Add a little kick in there. You could also add onions and garlic for an extra flavor boost.
Ingredients for Spinach and Mushroom Omelette with Feta
- Baby Bella Mushrooms (sliced) - Baby bella mushrooms are meatier than other variaties, but white and button also work well in this recipe.
- Baby Spinach - Kale can be substituted for the baby spinach, but will require a little extra cooking time.
- Whole Egg
- Egg White - You can use two whole eggs instead of using egg whites. The use of egg whites helps add a fluffier texture to the omelet.
- Reduced Fat Feta Cheese - Full fat feta works as well or you could substitute gorgonzola or even blue cheese.
- Salt & Pepper
How many eggs go into an Omelette?
2 eggs (or 1 whole egg and 1 egg white) are used when making an omelette for one.
How to Make Spinach Feta Omelette
- Start by spraying a skillet with nonstick spray.
- Add in the sliced mushrooms and saute, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms begin to soften.
- Once the mushrooms have softened, add in the baby spinach. Saute until wilted, adding in the salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the mushrooms have cooked through and spinach is wilted, remove them from the skillet and set aside.
- To a small bowl, add the egg and egg white whisking until light and fluffy.
- Return the skillet to the heat and spray again with nonstick spray.
- Pour the eggs into the skillet. Be sure not to stir or break up the eggs.
- Once they begin to firm (about 1-2 minutes), run a rubber spatula around the edges and then flip it completely over.
- Add the spinach, mushrooms, and feta to half of the omelet. Fold the other side over the mix.
- Remove from the stove and serve with extra feta on top.
Cook an omelette for one about 1-2 minutes before flipping.
A nonstick skillet that is the size of the omelette you would like works best.
More Favorite Recipes from Sweetly Splendid
Spinach Feta Omelette with Mushrooms
- 3 baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg white
- ½ oz reduced fat feta cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Coat a small pan with non-stick spray.
- Add mushrooms and cook until softened.
- Once mushrooms have softened, add in spinach.
- Cook spinach until wilted.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once mushrooms and spinach are cooked, transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add the egg and egg white with a little salt and pepper.
- Whisk until fluffy.
- Re-spray the pan with non-stick spray.
- Add eggs to pan and cook over low heat. Do not stir, do not break up.
- When the eggs are almost cooked thoroughly, carefully run your rubber spatula around the edges. Carefully flip the omelet over.
- Add the mushroom and spinach mixture to half of the omelet with half of the feta cheese.
- Fold the other half over it and sprinkle with remaining feta.
- Serve and enjoy!