Crunch and munch on this Ranch Oyster Crackers recipe. Flavored with dill and ranch seasoning, these crackers are the ideal party snack or topping for soups and salads.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you decide to purchase through my link, I may earn a very small commission at no additional cost to you.
Ranch Oyster Crackers Recipe
Are you the kind of person who likes a little extra crunch in your meals? I am all about croutons on salads and bacon crisps on soup.
Oyster crackers are another favorite of mine. Not only do they make a great salad and soup topper, but they make great appetizers and snacks, too.
These crackers are really tasty as is, with a flavor similar to a saltine cracker. But with the addition of ranch seasoning, they are headed toward perfection.
With football season in full swing, I have already made a couple of batches of Ranch Oyster Crackers. A big bowl of these is the perfect snack!
If your party guests are anything like me, they will go nuts for anything ranch.
Why You’ll Love This Ranch Oyster Cracker Recipe
Oyster crackers are a savory snack that everyone will love. Here are a few reasons why:
- With only four ingredients, these oyster crackers are quick and easy to make.
- They make great party food for football game watch parties and tailgates.
- Oyster crackers make a good appetizer for holiday parties, too.
Another thing I love about these crackers? They can be packaged up in treat bags to give to friends and neighbors for the holidays or hostess gifts.
This will easily become one of your new easy snack recipes. You can even pack them in a plastic bag and take it on road trips.
What are oyster crackers?
Oyster crackers are small, salted crackers cut into hexagonal shapes. Their flavor is similar to a saltine cracker.
They can be eaten plain or seasoned. Recipes for seasoned oyster crackers usually include some kind of oil or melted butter and a hefty sprinkling of seasonings like ranch, Tuscan herbs or taco seasoning.
Ingredients to Make Ranch Dill Oyster Crackers
You only need four simple ingredients to make these tasty oyster crackers:
- oyster style crackers - You can find a package of oyster crackers at your local grocery store in the cracker aisle. You could also make this recipe with saltine crackers, especially the mini saltines, or even Chex cereal, Goldfish or Cheez-its.
- ranch seasoning mix - Use your favorite dry ranch dressing mix here! I know a lot of people love the Hidden Valley packets. Trader Joe’s also sells a great ranch seasoning. If you’re feeling ambitious, you can make homemade ranch dressing mix.
- vegetable oil - You can use any neutral-tasting oil like avocado oil, olive oil, or canola oil.
- dill weed - Dill weed is the name for dried dill. I love using fresh dill that you can find in the produce aisle, but dried dill works well too. You can find dried dill in the spice aisle if you don’t have it on your spice rack already.
How to Make this oyster cracker recipe
Making these dill crackers is so easy! You don’t need any special equipment. You might as well make a double batch!
Preheat oven to 250°F. Go ahead and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
Place the oyster crackers in a gallon-sized Ziploc bag.
Pour oil over the crackers and seal the bag well. You don’t want anything escaping!
Shake the bag to coat the crackers in the spice mixture. Be gentle so they don't break!
Open the bag and add the ranch seasoning and dill weed. Seal again.
Shake the bag again to coat the crackers in the ranch mixture.
Then spread the crackers out on the lined baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes.
Let them cool completely, then store in an airtight container.
Tips & Tricks when making hidden valley ranch oyster crackers
Make sure you are gentle when handling the bag and tossing it to coat in the ranch seasoning. You don't want the crackers to break.
Feel free to add more ranch seasoning or dill to your taste.
Ways to customize ranch oyster crackers
To make spicy ranch oyster crackers, you can add red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.
To give it a chipotle ranch flavor similar to chipotle ranch dressing, you can add some chipotle chili pepper into the bag when mixing.
For a slightly citrus flavor, sprinkle in some lemon pepper seasoning.
If you really love savory snacks and want to take this up a notch, you can sprinkle in a teaspoon garlic powder, garlic salt, and a teaspoon onion powder.
What to serve with oyster crackers
Ranch oyster crackers make a great snack. Kids definitely won’t mind a tasty oyster cracker snack, either.
They even go really well on cheese boards and your favorite charcuterie board. Place oyster crackers in a small bowl among your cheese and meats.
For a party, put them in a big bowl alongside your other appetizers. Maybe alongside some Bacon Ranch Dip? See more appetizer ideas below!
I also love giving them away. Make a double or triple batch and then put them in treat bags or plastic containers to give to neighbors and teachers.
They would also be tasty over a salad like this avocado chicken chopped salad, well-dressed with buttermilk ranch dressing of course!
In the northeast United States, oyster crackers are commonly served over soups and chowders. My ham and potato corn chowder would be so comforting on a cold night! So would this creamy chicken and rice soup.
In Cincinnati, Ohio, oyster crackers are often served as a topping on their classic Skyline chili. My favorite chicken chili would also be so good with these ranch crackers.
And we can’t forget oyster stew! It’s a classic with oyster crackers.
Why are oyster crackers called oyster crackers?
The exact origin of oyster crackers is unknown, but its name likely comes from the fact that these crackers are usually served with oyster stew and clam chowder.
It could also be because the crackers look like an oyster in its shell!
How to store ranch dill oyster crackers
These crackers are best stored in an air-tight container at room temperature. You can leave them out as a little snack for your family members right on the counter.
products used to make ranch oyster crackers
More super bowl party snack foods
More Appetizer Recipes
Ranch Oyster Cracker Recipe
- 1 oz ranch seasoning mix
- 16 oz oyster style crackers
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon dill weed
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Place crackers in a gallon sized Ziploc bag.
- Pour oil over crackers and seal bag.
- Gently toss to coat.
- Add ranch seasoning and dill weed to bag. Seal bag.
- Gently toss again to coat.
- Bake on a silicone or parchment lined baking sheet for 15-20 minutes.
- Make sure you are gentle when handling the back and tossing to coat in the ranch seasoning. You don't want the crackers to break.
- Feel free to add more ranch seasoning or dill to your taste.
- If you’d like to make spicy ranch oyster crackers, you can add some chipotle chili pepper or cayenne pepper, to taste. This will give it the flavor of chipotle ranch dressing.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy. It should only be used for estimation purposes and is not a guarantee of any kind. Nutritional information varies widely between brands and types of ingredients used. It is recommended that you calculate the nutritional information based on your own ingredients and brands used. Sweetly Splendid, LLC makes no guarantees as to the exact nutrition information.
Did you love this recipe? Let us know!