If you love Wing Stop Ranch, you’ll love knowing you can recreate it at home with just three ingredients! This 3-ingredient recipe is easy to customize with lots of flavors and you can enjoy it as a dip for chicken wings, vegetables, or even pizza.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you decide to purchase through my link, I may earn a very small commission at no additional cost to you.
Homemade WingStop Ranch
Everyone claims to have the exact recipe Wingstop uses for their delicious buttermilk ranch, but this is the closest I've ever tasted. Even former Wingstop employees have taken to social media to share their version of Wingstop ranch dip.
Wings are the perfect snack for Friday night, game day, or whenever you are feeling like it. There’s not much that can’t be made better with a plate of wings and some friends to share them with.
But if there are wings on the table, there better be some sauce to dip them in! These dry rubbed wings are my fave.
This creamy Wing Stop Ranch is the best ranch because it’s thinner than traditional ranch dressing and has a distinct flavor. It works for dipping pizza, veggies, and even fries — really whatever you like! Your taste buds will thank you!
Why you'll love this homemade ranch recipe
If you love ranch with your wings (or anything!) you will love this copycat WingStop Ranch recipe:
- This creamy ranch dip is so full of flavor! You can easily customize it
- With only three ingredients, it’s so quick and easy to whip up.
- Use it with wings, vegetables, your favorite salads, pizza, or whatever your heart desires!
Since it’s fairly low in carbs, it’s also technically a keto ranch dressing, which makes it perfect for dressing up a salad…
But me? I’ll be eating it with wings, thank you very much!
What is ranch dressing?
Ranch dressing is an American salad dressing with a buttermilk base.
It is white in color with specks of green thanks to the herbs included, which are usually dill, parsley, and chives. It also contains flavors of garlic and onion, plus salt and pepper.
It is common to find ranch on most salad menus and salad bars, but ranch goes much further than that. It’s also used for other savory dishes.
Try it in appetizers like bacon ranch dip (served with potato chips) or cream cheese ranch roll-ups.
Ranch lovers will also adore the flavors with meats like ranch chicken, ranch pork chops, and ranch burgers.
products used to make wingstop ranch
Buttermilk ranch dressing
Ranch dressing is made with buttermilk, which is essentially fermented milk. It has a tangy, sour flavor and is typically used in baking recipes.
If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can make your own at home by adding lemon juice or vinegar to milk.
To make a buttermilk substitute, combine 1 tablespoon of vinegar with 1 cup of whole milk and stir. Let it sit for 5 minutes and you have your own buttermilk!
WingStop Ranch ingredients
This batch of ranch dressing only takes three simple ingredients. Here’s what to pick up at the grocery store to make your own WingStop copycat ranch:
- buttermilk - One of the main ingredients is buttermilk. You can find this in the dairy section of the grocery store. Both whole buttermilk and low-fat work well. Buttermilk is an essential ingredient, so you'll want to mix some together if you don't have any on hand.
- mayonnaise - Another one of the key ingredients is mayo. It needs to be Duke’s Mayonnaise or Blue Plate Brand for the right consistency! Trust me on this.
- ranch mix - While this recipe is delicious with any of them, to taste like WingStop ranch, you can't use just any of the packets of hidden valley ranch seasoning. You'll need to make sure to get Restaurant-Style Hidden Valley Ranch packets to get the closest to the WingStop flavor. It's a dry seasoning in an envelope near the other dressings in the grocery store.
Whether you're using it as a dipping sauce for buffalo wings or on a salad, you can make so many variations. You can make it your own by jazzing it up and making new flavors. You could even triple the recipe and offer an assortment of ranch dips.
Here are a few ranch flavor ideas:
- Buffalo ranch: Stir in some buffalo sauce for a spicy ranch dip.
- Avocado ranch: Blend avocado into the dressing. Use a blender or food processor to make it smooth.
- Jalapeno ranch: Blend jalapeños into the dressing. Keep the seeds in if you want a spicy ranch!
- BBQ ranch: Add your favorite bbq sauce to the dressing.
- Salsa: Stir in your favorite salsa.
- Cilantro lime ranch: Add minced cilantro and lime (and maybe some avocado) with the dressing.
- Dill pickle ranch dressing: Add fresh or dried dill plus a splash of pickle juice.
- Peppercorn ranch: Stir in some coarsely ground black peppercorns.
- Taco ranch: Add taco sauce or taco seasoning.
- Sriracha ranch sauce: Stir in sriracha.
How to make WingStop Ranch
The full recipe card with measurements and detailed instructions is at the bottom of this page.
This easy WingStop ranch recipe is so easy! Here’s what you will need to do.
Start by whisking the buttermilk and mayo together until it's a smooth texture.
Then add in the ranch mix and stir until it's completely combined and there are no clumps.
Store the ranch in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you're ready to use it. It will keep for about 6 days but I don’t recommend freezing it since it contains dairy products.
How to serve WingStop Ranch Dressing
Serve your homemade restaurant ranch over salads or in a bowl with dippers.
It’s great for wings, pizza, chips, or french fries (especially WingStop fries!).
This ranch is also lovely on a veggie dip with lots of options like cucumber slices, carrot sticks, and celery stalks.
Tips & Tricks
The thin consistency is part of what people love about wing stop ranch, but if you want it thicker, you can add more buttermilk.
Make sure to use Duke’s or Blue Plate brands of mayo as they have the best consistency. A good quality mayonnaise makes a big difference!
You’ll want to make this homemade ranch dressing with Hidden Valley packets labeled “restaurant-style ranch,” which will have the flavor closest to WingStop’s ranch. It contains a little bit of different seasonings and buttermilk powder.
Yes, the ranch can be made with heavy cream. You’ll want to add 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice or vinegar and let it sit for 5 minutes to become buttermilk.
WingStop makes its own special blend of ranch dressing using mayonnaise, buttermilk, and ranch seasoning.
WingStop makes its own ranch dressing at each restaurant.
WingStop ranch will last for about 6 days in the fridge when kept in an airtight container and stored properly.
A lot of fast food restaurants buy pre-made ranch dressing, but often times most restaurants make their own ranch dressing. They use commercial ranch seasoning as well as a higher-quality (and better-tasting) base such as milk, buttermilk, sour cream or mayonnaise. It often results in a thin dressing rather than the thick kind in the store.
WingStop makes its own ranch sauce with mayonnaise, buttermilk, and ranch seasoning.
If you want a true easy Wingstop ranch copycat recipe, I would not use them. I would stick with real buttermilk, the recommended brands of mayo, and the specific hidden valley ranch mix seasoning.
More Sauce Recipes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup Dukes mayonnaise
- 1 packet restaurant style hidden valley ranch mix
- Start by whisking the buttermilk and mayo together until it's smooth.
- Add in the ranch mix and mix until it's completely combined.
- Store the ranch in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you're ready to use.
- The thin consistency is part of what people love about wing stop ranch, but if you want it thicker, you can add more buttermilk
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy. It should only be used for estimation purposes and is not a guarantee of any kind. Nutritional information varies widely between brands and types of ingredients used. It is recommended that you calculate the nutritional information based on your own ingredients and brands used. Sweetly Splendid, LLC makes no guarantees as to the exact nutrition information.
This was the absolute best!
What a tasty ranch sauce. It was easy to make and now I wonder what the original wing stop tastes like.
This was so, so good! Thanks for this super easy recipe! Love it!